The answer is:
  $file_pointer = fopen('/public_html/emails.txt', "a") or exit;

The " || " is a binary operation.  You want "or", the logical operation.

----- Original Message -----
From: Rodrigo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; 'Miguel Cruz' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; 'John
Holmes' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2002 10:55 PM
Subject: [PHP] Last time Append line to text file

Ok, but I'm trying the following code wich is basicaly the same Miguel
sent me and I still get the same message.
Please excuseme for being so repetitive but Í don't seem to see where is
the mistake, Sorry guys for the trouble.

<?php

  $file_pointer = fopen('/public_html/emails.txt', "a") || exit;
  $string_to_write = ("$newemail") . "\n";
  fwrite($file_pointer, $string_to_write);
  fclose($file_pointer);

?>

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid File-Handle resource in
/home/restricted/home/h4ck3r/public_html/write.php on line 4

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid File-Handle resource in
/home/restricted/home/h4ck3r/public_html/write.php on line 6