Nope, it isn't faster.  You should use your own if you have one installed
on your machine.  Chances are your will match your server better than the
bundled one.  The typical mismatch being the location of the mysql
unix-domain socket.

We bundled one so that the default PHP install will always be able to talk
to a remote MySQL server and because we got tired of answering the dozens
of "mysql_connect undefined function" questions we got every day.

-Rasmus