Because global is specific to the SCOPE not to the variable -
variables themselves aren't tagged as global. If you add

        global $text;

in your echoo() function it will work. Alternatively, you could replace

        echo $text;
with
        echo $GLOBALS['text'];

in your echoo() function.

See
        http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.variables.php

for more info.

-steve

At 3:17 PM -0600 5/23/02, David Duong wrote:
>If that works than the why does test file I tried previously to making the
>post return a $text does not exist error?
><?
>echoo();
>
>function test() {
>$text = "Testing";
>global $text;
>}
>
>function echoo() {
>test();
>echo $text;
>}
>
>?>
>
>"Sqlcoders.Com Programming Dept" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>009f01c20241$f05aaf80$6520fea9@dw">news:009f01c20241$f05aaf80$6520fea9@dw...
>>  Sqlcoders.com Dynamic data driven web solutions

| Steve Edberg                                      [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| University of California, Davis                          (530)754-9127 |
| Programming/Database/SysAdmin               http://pgfsun.ucdavis.edu/ |