On Fri, 24 May 2002, Richard Baskett wrote:
> I have a page that when someone searches for information.. Every hit
> that shows up on that page has an SQL update that increases a counter
> for that particular "record".  Now when we have hundreds/thousands of
> users using the site.. Will this cause some serious problems since most
> of the users will be using this search and at the same time?  That's a
> lot of db hits all at once isnt it?

It's nothing that hasn't been done before. As your traffic increases, the
strain on the database will increase, and I doubt this in particular will
be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Just make sure you have a plan
for moving to multiple database servers, and that plan is ready long
before the traffic has built up to that level - or you're going to be in
real trouble.

miguel