Have a look in the manual. It's something like createfrombmp(). Might be
imagecreatefrombmp(). It's in the images section of functions. You might
need to have the gd library installed for it to work.

You could always use fopen() and fread() to open and read the file. Use it
in binary mode for images and stuff.