>From reading the manual, it is my understanding that one cannot explicitly
override parent class functions and/or properties.

I found this article stating, "You can override any function but it is an
implicit override...any function that is overridden in a child is never
called in the parent, so if you have funct() on both, only child will be
called."

http://www.phpbuilder.com/forum/archives/2/2000/12/2/115715

In my case i am trying to override a variable.  I have a property Username
for both the parent and the child.  I am wondering if there is a way to
differenciate between parent->Username and child->Username.

Thanks

-Jared