It would help to know exactly what information you are gathering and for
what reason are you storing it.
-Kevin

Kevin, thanx for your reply.

Basically the data flow is the following:
. get the value from the web form
. pass the value to the program
. this program gathers data from a couple of remote databases
. then according to the values returned by this program I update a local
database.
. in the end I need to display the results.

The program that I have to use gets info regarding the users.
I need the info to update an internal db.
The program (a mix of C and shell) usually takes a very long time to end.

I've tryed to modify the php.ini and set_time_limit(time) but they don't
work.

I wonder if I have to use the HTTP headers... Ive tried but not sure it's
the right way to do it...

cheers
Mauro