$num2 = sprintf("%4d", $num);

the "d" might have to be something else, can't remember

-----Original Message-----
From: Justin French [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 1:20 PM
To: César L. Aracena; PHP General List
Subject: Re: [PHP] Adding zeros in front

I think certain types of INT fields (not sure which ones) zero fill the
number to the field length... you should read up on the col types, and maybe
change it over.  Maybe do a search on "zerofill" / "zero fill".

Anyhoo, to solve your immediate problem, you could check the length of
$row[main_group], and add some zeros to the start of it, until it's length =
your desired length.

<?
// UNTESTED
$row[main_group] = "45";

$desiredLength = 4;

while(strlen($row[main_group] < $desiredLength))
    {
    $row[main_group] = "0".$row[main_group];
    }
?>

I'm sure there are other ways, and it'd be best if you wrapped it in a
function :)

Justin French