LOL...thanks ed...figured it out last night...
don't need to do a file_exists

since i capture file_name in my db...I do a query before the insert to see
if the file_name entered in the form, matches any of the file_names stored
in mySQL.  if the count of the record set > 0 then the file exists, and
redirect using header: Location...etc,etc.

If count=0 then insert form contents into docuemnt and copy file to folder.

Thanks

Shane