Yes, there is a particular reason.  The actual query I do pulls information
from two tables and has both ORDER BY and GROUP BY clauses.  The
"auto_increment" column (think of the query results as a table) will give me
the "rank" of the results.  I know how to manipulate the data in PHP to
accomplish what I need.  I just thought there might be a way in which the
query could do it up front.  Sort of like when you want to know how many
times a particular record exists, you can do a COUNT(*).  I just want the
results to basically give me a column in the query that lists the results 1,
2, 3, etc.  Make sense?

Thanks for your help!

Jeff