I'm not sure what sysadmins you are talking about, but /tmp is typically
a world-writable directory.

Also, there is no such "strict" Unix naming convention. The directory
/tmp is always /tmp, so matter how "lenient" you want to be. There is
simply a difference between relative paths and absolute paths.

Chris