John Holmes wrote:

> The best way to do this is server side with strlen(). You can use
> javascript or maxlength, but if a user wants to get around it, they can.
>
> ---John Holmes...

John,

The best way to do this is with both.  maxlength/Javascript as a courtesy,
 strlen for security.

As you say, you can NEVER rely on any kind of client-side check, all checks
must be done on the server side.  So, it's tempting to skip client-side checks,
but making the user wait for server side execution before any checks are done
is actually very rude.  Every time I see server-only checks for required fields etc.,
I switch off and lose confidence in the site.

George