> I want to set up a site at home to play with php
 >
 > I have windows xp pro, dreamweaver MX and mysql
 >
 > Do I need anything to view live application data locally in
 > my browser

You'll need to install a web server that supports php and php itself.  I
did this recently on my XP Pro laptop using Apache and MySQL and PHP
with no problems.  I installed Apache from a download from
www.apache.org and used it's installer - worked fine.  Then installed
php as downloaded from www.php.net and followed the install instructions
that are included with it - also worked fine.  Then installed MySQL the
same way and it worked too.  Apache and MySQL will install as services
and run in the background all the time.  They take up under 3MB of RAM
when doing this.

CYA, Dave