On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 09:24:13PM +0100, Peter wrote:
> If you want an all in one solution without having to have two versions,
> can't you read the status of register_globals from the config file and base
> the rest of the script on this?
> eg
> if (register_globals == 'on') {
> $name = _POST['name'];
> $address = _GET['address'];
> }
>
> then you can access the variables as if register_globals = on even if it
> isn't

That's the type of solution that I took on one of our servers where I had
deliberately turned off register_globals (prior to PHP 4.1 or whenever the
default was changed), though I just used a loop:

foreach($HTTP_POST_VARS as $var => $val) {
        $$var = $val;
}

// repeat for the other relevant $HTTP_*_VARS

The result was a short script that could be require_once'd at the
top of every script that depended on register_globals being off.

> "Simon Troup" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > I've written a small freeware script that gets installed on a variety of
> > different platforms running various PHP versions.
> >
> > I've read through the manual about the super global arrays and how post
> and
> > get vars are no longer registered by default, but am confused about when
> it
> > would be a good idea to "upgrade" the script.
> >
> > If I change everything in the script and use $_GET and $_POST etc. then
> > those people who are still using earlier versions won't be able to
> upgrade.
> >
> > Does anyone know what the uptake of the latest version is? What is
> everyone
> > else doing about this? If I were developing for one client it wouldn't be
> > problem as obviously you'd know what you were developing for.
> >
> > I'd just like some feedback on when would be a good time to upgrade the
> > scripts while causing the minimum disruption and maintaining maximum happy
> > users.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Zim

James Clifford