When I said "process" I meant "request". Sorry. Is it possible that the PHP
globals are being used across requests (i.e., within the same process)? We
noticed this when upgrading from a version of PHP (4.0.6?) prior to the new
super-globals being added to PHP 4.1.2.

The code in this case is so straightforward that I can't see any other
explanation. The variable in question comes from the URL. For example, if the
URL is http://foo.com/page.php?var=abc, $var in the PHP is a different value
in these rare cases.  And the variable we use here is in a very specific
format and it is a valid value just that it's a different value from the one
in the URL.

Also note that we've only seen this problem when the variable has a longer
string than the one in the URL. Using the URL from the above example again,
$var has a value like "abcdef" which is valid value but longer (in addition to
being wrong). It's as if PHP is re-using memory from a previous request and is
not truncating the string properly for the next request.

Does that make more sense? Possible?