A guess:

Your local server has different settings then the
remote server.  Specifically, the register_globals
directive.

  For example, take this url:

    http://www.example.com/foo.php?id=3

  If register_globals = off you can get this by:

    // These methods work as of PHP 4.1.0
    print $_GET['id'];
    print $_REQUEST['id'];

    import_request_variables('gpc', 'r_');
    print $r_id;

    // This works as of PHP 3
    print $HTTP_GET_VARS['id'];

  If register_globals = on, an additional method exists.

    // Works if register_globals = on
    print $id;

It's preferred to not rely on register_globals = on.  In
fact, this directive is deprecated and may not work one
day.  As of PHP 4.2.0 this defaults to off in php.ini.

See also:
  http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.variables.predefined.php
  http://www.php.net/registerglobals

Regards,