PHP tries very hard to remain BC, in fact, some
will say too hard :)  The register_globals change
was the biggest change in PHP history, can't
think of any other change that comes close.  And,
that only changed the default value for this
directive, you can turn it on if you wish.

The PHP 4 book that you have has a typo, there
simply is no php_info().

Regards,
Philip Olson