php-general Digest 14 Jul 2002 08:21:08 -0000 Issue 1463

Topics (messages 107537 through 107584):

Animated GIFs
        107537 by: Peter

Re: recusive functions
        107538 by: Jome

Can't Install on Mac OS X
        107539 by: Brandon Pearcy
        107543 by: Liam MacKenzie

Re: Can this be done with mail()?
        107540 by: John Holmes
        107581 by: Richard Lynch

How do I get the name of the script?
        107541 by: David Duong
        107544 by: Philip Olson
        107545 by: David Duong

Setting include_path
        107542 by: Tim Thorburn
        107565 by: Jason Wong

How come this will echo No or nothing?
        107546 by: JJ Harrison
        107547 by: Cal Evans
        107548 by: JJ Harrison
        107549 by: Cal Evans
        107552 by: JJ Harrison
        107555 by: Cal Evans
        107556 by: JJ Harrison
        107560 by: JJ Harrison
        107562 by: JJ Harrison

Re: objects in an array
        107550 by: Alberto Serra

Dealing with spaces and punctuation in uploaded filenames  (tjlq)
        107551 by: Tim Luoma
        107564 by: Jason Wong
        107582 by: Richard Lynch

Newbie question
        107553 by: Jay
        107554 by: Cal Evans
        107561 by: Alberto Serra

Re: problem with cookies and some browsers
        107557 by: Justin French

Re: PHPDiscuss.com
        107558 by: Justin French
        107559 by: Jeff Lewis

TOC protocol (AOL Instant Messenger)
        107563 by: SpamSucks86

Re: Can not delete files that were uploaded
        107566 by: Richard Lynch

Re: how can this be? GET instead of POST -> db error
        107567 by: Richard Lynch

Re: Problems with apache and php
        107568 by: Richard Lynch

Re: HTTP_USER_AGENT?
        107569 by: Richard Lynch

Re: xml and max size of xml doc
        107570 by: Richard Lynch

Re: PHP meetup
        107571 by: Richard Lynch

Re: A question of style ...
        107572 by: Richard Lynch

Re: Emulating Java Exceptions
        107573 by: Richard Lynch

Re: Write EXIF - is it possible?
        107574 by: Richard Lynch

Re: Final Year Computer Science Project involving PHP
        107575 by: Richard Lynch

Re: black becomes red w/ imagecreatefromjpeg
        107576 by: Richard Lynch

Re: Encoding problem with command line PHP.exe
        107577 by: Richard Lynch

Re: pgSQL Functions with results set to php?
        107578 by: Richard Lynch

Re: PHP install - what features?
        107579 by: Richard Lynch

Re: New 2 PHP
        107580 by: Richard Lynch

serverside restrictions
        107583 by: Liam MacKenzie

state engine or HTML parser
        107584 by: Justin French

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- Begin Message ---
I know GIF support was dropped from the GD library, but can you make
animated GIFs in any version of GD?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
"Alexander Ross" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
> Does  exit() in a recursive function exit the entire function, of does it
> only exit that iteration of teh function??  Thanks

exit terminas the whole script and not just a function. Read more on
http://php.net/exit

  -Jome

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Everyone,

In the past I have setup many Mac OS X web servers successfully. Now
I'm trying to setup another OS X web server, but PHP will not work.
I'm having massive problems getting PHP to "make", and I'm all out of
ideas. After I configure PHP (./configure), and try to make it, I get
these errors:

make[1]: *** [php] Error 1
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

I've tried an alternative way of installing from Marc Liyanage's web
site, http://www.entropy.ch/ which was very easy to follow, but it
absolutely will not allow me to view any PHP pages through Apache.
PHP prints out the following error instead:

Warning: Failed opening '/Library/WebServer/Documents/test.php' for
inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in Unknown on line 0

As you can see, the file's name is test.php, but you should know it
has absolutely NO PHP code in it. It's contents are:

                Why don't I work?

Anyone have any ideas?

If anyone is willing, could they download the latest source of PHP
and try to configure and make it (don't bother make install-ing
it...) If you have any success with it, let me know.

Thanks in advance!
--
--------------------------
Brandon Pearcy

Bowes Online
--------------------------
  phone: 1-780-532-1110 ext. 265
  fax:   1-780-532-2120
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
What extras are you compiling in with it?

Compile PHP and Apache with the bare minimum only, no fancy stuff.  Try it
then.

I sucessfully compiled several machines using the latest source code
yesterday.

> In the past I have setup many Mac OS X web servers successfully. Now
> I'm trying to setup another OS X web server, but PHP will not work.
> I'm having massive problems getting PHP to "make", and I'm all out of
> ideas. After I configure PHP (./configure), and try to make it, I get
> these errors:
>
> make[1]: *** [php] Error 1
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>
> I've tried an alternative way of installing from Marc Liyanage's web
> site, http://www.entropy.ch/ which was very easy to follow, but it
> absolutely will not allow me to view any PHP pages through Apache.
> PHP prints out the following error instead:
>
> Warning: Failed opening '/Library/WebServer/Documents/test.php' for
> inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in Unknown on line 0
>
> As you can see, the file's name is test.php, but you should know it
> has absolutely NO PHP code in it. It's contents are:

> Why don't I work?
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> If anyone is willing, could they download the latest source of PHP
> and try to configure and make it (don't bother make install-ing
> it...) If you have any success with it, let me know.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> --
> --------------------------
> Brandon Pearcy
>    Internet Technician
>
> Bowes Online
> --------------------------
>   phone: 1-780-532-1110 ext. 265
>   fax:   1-780-532-2120
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
> I need to query a database and return a resultset. A php script will
then
> sort through the data and send the data to the browser in the form of
> table.
>
> Is it possible to gather the the results with html tags and store them
in
> a variable so that the results can be emailed to someone? If so, how
would
> this be done?

Instead of using print or echo to display the HTML table, just assign it
all to a variable. Then you can print it out later, or mail it, or
whatever.

Or use output buffering...

---John Holmes...

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

>I need to query a database and return a resultset. A php script will then
>sort through the data and send the data to the browser in the form of a table.
>
>Is it possible to gather the the results with html tags and store them in a
>variable so that the results can be emailed to someone? If so, how would
>this be done?

Do as much of the sorting/searching in SQL as you can.  MUCH faster.

Use the mail class from http://phpclasses.org to do the html-enhanced email.

WARNING:  Many readers will simply *TRASH* your "enhanced" email.  Re-think
your priorities.

Collecting your HTML in a variable is easy:

<?php
  $html = '';
  # Get db stuff
  $html .= "<TABLE>\n";
  # Loop through results{
    $html .= "<TR><TD>$x</TD><TD>$y</TD><TD>$z</TD></TR>\n";
  }
  $html .= "</TABLE>\n";
?>

It's just like doing everything with "echo", only not. :-)

You may want to echo some stuff out as well, so you know what's happening...

--
Like Music?  http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Is their a function that returns an equivalent of $PHP_SELF?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

You have many options.  Do a call to phpinfo() and
note all the predefined variables, such as PHP_SELF.
There is also the __FILE__ constant, print that too.

Why do you request a function?  If it's because
$PHP_SELF is not set, that's because the PHP
directive register_globals = off.  Go through the
predefined server array instead, it's sexier:

  print $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'];

See also:
  http://www.php.net/manual/en/reserved.variables.php

Regards,
Philip Olson

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, David Duong wrote:

> Is their a function that returns an equivalent of $PHP_SELF?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Thnx for hte help, I wanted to keep register globals off, its a security
hazard.
"Philip Olson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
Pine.BSF.4.10.10207140050140.63499-100000@localhost">news:Pine.BSF.4.10.10207140050140.63499-100000@localhost...

> You have many options.  Do a call to phpinfo() and
> note all the predefined variables, such as PHP_SELF.
> There is also the __FILE__ constant, print that too.
>
> Why do you request a function?  If it's because
> $PHP_SELF is not set, that's because the PHP
> directive register_globals = off.  Go through the
> predefined server array instead, it's sexier:
>
>   print $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'];
>
> See also:
>   http://www.php.net/manual/en/reserved.variables.php
>
> Regards,
> Philip Olson
>

> On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, David Duong wrote:
>
> > Is their a function that returns an equivalent of $PHP_SELF?
> >

> > --

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

I'm having some difficulties setting the include path for two of my
sites.  I had this working previously on a PHP3 server with the command in
the .htaccess file:

php3_include_path ".:/path/to/account/root/"

However, I seem to be unable to set the include path with two new sites -
one running PHP 4.1.2, the other using PHP 4.2.0.

I've gone through the settings listed on the PHP Configuration page:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/configuration.php

Yet none seem to work.

php_value include_path ".:/path/to/account/root"
php_include_path ".:/path/to/account/root/"
php4_include_path ".:/path/to/account/root/"

Could someone please shed some light on this subject?  I'm in a sort of
bind as my client desperately needs their site up for a week long sporting
event that just began this past Friday (yesterday).

Thanks in advance
-Tim

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Sunday 14 July 2002 07:36, Tim Thorburn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having some difficulties setting the include path for two of my
> sites.  I had this working previously on a PHP3 server with the command in
> the .htaccess file:
>
> php3_include_path ".:/path/to/account/root/"
>
> However, I seem to be unable to set the include path with two new sites -
> one running PHP 4.1.2, the other using PHP 4.2.0.
>
> I've gone through the settings listed on the PHP Configuration page:
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/configuration.php
>
> Yet none seem to work.
>
> php_value include_path ".:/path/to/account/root"

This one _should_ work. Try it without the double-quotes.

/*
I know how to do SPECIAL EFFECTS!!
*/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
here is the portion of the script:

  if($row['plevel'] == '0'){
  echo 'No';
  } else {
  echo 'Yes';
  }

here is my table structure dump:

#
# Table structure for table `docs`
#

CREATE TABLE docs (
  id int(11) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
  name varchar(200) NOT NULL default '',
  note varchar(200) NOT NULL default '',
  author varchar(200) NOT NULL default '',
  path varchar(200) NOT NULL default '',
  plevel tinyint(3) NOT NULL default '0',
  type char(3) NOT NULL default '',
  cat tinyint(3) NOT NULL default '0',
  file_size int(11) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  date int(11) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  PRIMARY KEY  (id)
) TYPE=MyISAM;

the row plevel is either 0 or 1.

why won't this script echo Yes?

The reason that the plevel is set in numbers is because I may add higher
ones later.

--
JJ Harrison
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
because $row['plevel'] is NEVER == '0'  It is probably == 0 though. (note
the missing quotes. ) :)

HTH,
=C=
*
* Cal Evans
* The Virtual CIO
* http://www.calevans.com
*

[...]

I tried that.

same result.

Here is my (new) snippet:

  if($row['plevel'] == 0){
  echo 'No';
  } else {
  echo 'Yes';
  }

"Cal Evans" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> because $row['plevel'] is NEVER == '0'  It is probably == 0 though. (note
> the missing quotes. ) :)
>
> HTH,
> =C=
> *
> * Cal Evans
> * The Virtual CIO
> * http://www.calevans.com
> *

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Have you done a var_dump on $row to make sure that plevel exists?

=C=

*
* Cal Evans
* The Virtual CIO
* http://www.calevans.com
*

"Cal Evans" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> because $row['plevel'] is NEVER == '0'  It is probably == 0 though. (note
> the missing quotes. ) :)
>
> HTH,
> =C=
> *
> * Cal Evans
> * The Virtual CIO
> * http://www.calevans.com
> *

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
The value of plevel is "0" according to var_dump.

--
JJ Harrison
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Cal Evans" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Have you done a var_dump on $row to make sure that plevel exists?
>
> =C=
>
> *
> * Cal Evans
> * The Virtual CIO
> * http://www.calevans.com
> *

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
off the top of my head, I'd suggest :

if(intval($row['plevel']) == 0){

Grasping at straws here but you've moved beyond a simple question into a
debigging process. (Which doesn't work too well for email.)

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
=C=
*
* Cal Evans
* The Virtual CIO
* http://www.calevans.com
*

The value of plevel is "0" according to var_dump.

--
JJ Harrison
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.tececo.com

"Cal Evans" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Have you done a var_dump on $row to make sure that plevel exists?
>
> =C=
>
> *
> * Cal Evans
> * The Virtual CIO
> * http://www.calevans.com
> *

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Still doesn't work.

I'll have to think about it.

I may raise all the values in the plevel colomn by one.

It may work then.

--
JJ Harrison
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Cal Evans" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> off the top of my head, I'd suggest :
>
> if(intval($row['plevel']) == 0){
>
> Grasping at straws here but you've moved beyond a simple question into a
> debigging process. (Which doesn't work too well for email.)
>
> Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
> =C=
> *
> * Cal Evans
> * The Virtual CIO
> * http://www.calevans.com
> *

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
It *still* didn't work.

I will increment all table cells using a single update query to do them all.

--
JJ Harrison
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Jj Harrison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Still doesn't work.
>
> I'll have to think about it.
>
> I may raise all the values in the plevel colomn by one.
>
> It may work then.
>

> --
> JJ Harrison
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> www.tececo.com
>
> "Cal Evans" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > off the top of my head, I'd suggest :
> >
> > if(intval($row['plevel']) == 0){
> >
> > Grasping at straws here but you've moved beyond a simple question into a
> > debigging process. (Which doesn't work too well for email.)
> >
> > Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
> > =C=
> > *
> > * Cal Evans
> > * The Virtual CIO
> > * http://www.calevans.com
> > *

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I found figured it out.

I am a n00b BTW.

the snippet was caught inside anouther if statment so it was only displaying
if the file was under a Meg in size!

--
JJ Harrison
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.tececo.com

"Jj Harrison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Still doesn't work.
>
> I'll have to think about it.
>
> I may raise all the values in the plevel colomn by one.
>
> It may work then.
>

> --
> JJ Harrison
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> www.tececo.com
>
> "Cal Evans" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > off the top of my head, I'd suggest :
> >
> > if(intval($row['plevel']) == 0){
> >
> > Grasping at straws here but you've moved beyond a simple question into a
> > debigging process. (Which doesn't work too well for email.)
> >
> > Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
> > =C=
> > *
> > * Cal Evans
> > * The Virtual CIO
> > * http://www.calevans.com
> > *

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Привет!

Alexander Ross wrote:
> I have an array filled with objects.  Each object has a method called
> "display".
>
> I have
>
> $var = $arr[0];
> $var->display();
>
> but I keep getting an error.  What am I doing wrong?
> (I do a print_r of the array immediately before this code and there is an
> object at array[0])

What classes? Which error? Can't say anything with the scarce info you
gave in.

пока
Альберто
Киев

@-_=}{=_-@-_=}{=_-@-_=}{=_-@-_=}{=_-@-_=}{=_-@-_=}{=_-@-_=}{=_-@

LoRd, CaN yOu HeAr Me, LiKe I'm HeArInG yOu?
lOrD i'M sHiNiNg...
YoU kNoW I AlMoSt LoSt My MiNd, BuT nOw I'm HoMe AnD fReE
tHe TeSt, YeS iT iS
ThE tEsT, yEs It Is
tHe TeSt, YeS iT iS
ThE tEsT, yEs It Is.......

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

I am using this basic example (from the manual iirc) for uploading files

<form enctype="multipart/form-data" action="upload.php" method="post">
   <input type="hidden" name="MAX_FILE_SIZE" value="1000" />
   Upload this file: <input name="userfile" type="file" />
   <input type="submit" value="Send File" />
</form>

What I am trying to do then is to remove any spaces or punctuation that
might be in the filename.

This is what I am using for the filename:

$FILENAME = $_FILES['userfile']['name'];

and this is what I was trying to use to remove the space and punctuation
(all one line, might wrap in email):

$SAFEFILENAME = ereg_replace ("[[:punct:]]+[[:blank:]]+", "", $FILENAME);

But that does not seem to be working, and I have not been able to figure
out why.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

TjL

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Sunday 14 July 2002 09:20, Tim Luoma wrote:

> and this is what I was trying to use to remove the space and punctuation
> (all one line, might wrap in email):
>
> $SAFEFILENAME = ereg_replace ("[[:punct:]]+[[:blank:]]+", "", $FILENAME);
>
> But that does not seem to be working, and I have not been able to figure
> out why.

What the above seems to be doing is replace:

 a series of one or more punctuation marks FOLLOWED BY
 a series of one or more spaces

Which is not what you want. Presumably anything which isn't alphanumeric is
classed as either space or punctuation? If so:

I prefer preg_replace so try:

  $SAFEFILENAME = preg_replace('/[^a-zA-Z0-9]/', '', $FILENAME);

*** Untested use with caution ***

/*
While you don't greatly need the outside world, it's still very
reassuring to know that it's still there.
*/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
>$SAFEFILENAME = ereg_replace ("[[:punct:]]+[[:blank:]]+", "", $FILENAME);
>
>But that does not seem to be working, and I have not been able to figure
>out why.

It's better to specifically *ALLOW* certain characters than to try to list
all the ones you do *NOT* allow:

    # Get rid of gnarly characters in filenames:
    $filename = ereg_replace('[^a-zA-Z0-9_\\.-]', '', $photo_name);
    $filename = $filename ? $filename : chr(rand(ord('A'),ord('Z'))) .
chr(rand(ord('A'),ord('Z'))) . chr(rand(ord('A'),ord('Z'))) .
chr(rand(ord('A'),ord('Z')));
    if (!ereg('[a-zA-Z0-9_-]+[\\.]*[a-zA-Z0-9_-]*', $filename)){
     $filename = chr(rand(ord('A'),ord('Z'))) . chr(rand(ord('A'),ord('Z')))
. chr(rand(ord('A'),ord('Z'))) . chr(rand(ord('A'),ord('Z'))) . $filename;
    }

Here, I throw out anything that's not alphanumeric, underscore (_), dot
(\\.), or dash (-)

I also accept that fact that some goofball will end up have a file name with
*NOTHING* useful in it, and then I just make a random filename up.

Damned if I know why I felt the need for that last if(){} part...

Maybe ord('Z') should be ord('Y') and I was getting whatever comes after Z
some of the time???

Or perhaps that just adds four more characters on when I *DO* need to make
up random names?

That part looks pretty broken to me right now, but maybe I just need some
sleep.

--
Like Music?  http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I have just started to teach myself php so I am reading through several
scripts to see how the language is "spoken". I came across the following
at  phpworld.com

$i = 1;
while ($i <= 10) {
    print $i++

Its a little script that counts from 1 to 10,  but what does $i++ mean.
What does the ++ do? Why ++ and not just one +

Thanks

-Jay

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
++ is an incrementor.

$i=1;
$i++;
echo $i;

=C=

p.s. -- is a decrementor.

*
* Cal Evans
* The Virtual CIO
* http://www.calevans.com
*

Cal Evans wrote:
> ++ is an incrementor.

He may also consider the position of the inc/decrementor.
Example (note that the first element of an array has index 0):

$a = Array(1,2,3,4,5);
$i = 1;

executing

echo $a[++$i]
will output
3 2

echo $a[$i++]
will output
2 2

In both cases $i gets incremented, but the value used to access the
array might be before or after the increment takes place, according to
the incrementor (or decrementor, if you use --) position. A subtle, but
often very handy nuance.

пока
Альберто
Киев

@-_=}{=_-@-_=}{=_-@-_=}{=_-@-_=}{=_-@-_=}{=_-@-_=}{=_-@-_=}{=_-@

on 13/07/02 7:35 AM, Andy ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> I am wondering if there is a possiblity that some browsers like IE 5.1 do
> not accespt cookies by default. I am working on a session management system
> and some users report that they have not been able to login because the
> cookie has been rejected. They are running IE 5.1 Mac (and maybe PC as well)
> Are there any known problems?

Sure!  For starters, ANYONE could turn off cookies at ANY TIME, perhaps by
accident, perhaps out of fear, perhaps out of ignorance, perhaps because
they're on a shared computer, etc etc.

But to answer your question, every version of IE I've ever loaded onto my
Mac (currently 5.1) has had cookies on by default.

To really answer your question, you need to:

a) not rely on cookies -- pass the session ID around in the url

b) look at compiling PHP with enable_trans_sid, which does this for you

c) test for cookies, and explain to those without that your site requires
them, explain how to access them/turn them on, and perhaps provide a small
subset of content or alternatives for those who won't/can't use them.

Justin French

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Aren't there already hundreds of these things out there?

I can't imagine why I'd use a clumsy, slow web interface to a forum that I
have to keep checking/returning to when I can satisfy 99% of my problems
with this mailing list.

It's as simple as sending, checking and replying to emails :)

Justin French

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I think there is always a need for more resources. Some people prefer forums
and the ability to actually go a bit off topic in some boards as opposed to
strictly answering questions. It's a matter of preference I suppose.

Anything that further helps PHP spread I'm for it :)

Jeff
> Aren't there already hundreds of these things out there?
>
> I can't imagine why I'd use a clumsy, slow web interface to a forum that I
> have to keep checking/returning to when I can satisfy 99% of my problems
> with this mailing list.
>
> It's as simple as sending, checking and replying to emails :)
>

> Justin French

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I'm interested in coding something in PHP which uses the TOC protocol to
connect to AOL Instant Messenger (AIM). Has there been anything done
like this in PHP? I'm also looking for more information on the TOC
protocol. I have the protocol specs, but it doesn't say where the server
is to connect to (same server as normal AIM, possibly?). Anyone who
knows ANYTHING about this, please help.I don't know much ;-) Thanks for
any and all replies.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
>I use PHP to upload files to the web server via web browser.  However, I can
>not delete the files later cause the Redhat linux server running on safe
>mode. Do I have to changed the owner of the file during the file uploading
>time?
>
>Please let me know how to solve this problems.

The files are going to get deleted unless you do something in the upload
script to save/store/copy them.

There is no problem. :-)

If, after you have created/moved them, you can't delete them, then you need
to have done stuff like:

http://php.net/umask
http://php.net/chmod

and have the correct settings on the source/destination directory
permissions to get the files in the state that you want them in -- Whether
that's deleting via a cron job, or manually or letting PHP do it.

Be warned that if PHP can delete them, so can anybody else on the shared
server who wants to write a PHP script to delete them, unless you've
configured PHP specially to run as a specific user, which is unlikely for
most ISP setups.

--
Like Music?  http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
>Hi everybody,
>
>I am just trying to find out how some db errors happened during a user was
>browsing my web app.
>
>This is out of the Apache log:
>
>GET /subapp_profiles/act_upload_image.php HTTP/1.1" 200 160
>POST /subapp_profiles/act_upload_image.php HTTP/1.1" 302 5
>
>I do not have a clue where this GET request could come from. This has caused
>a empty sql statement and therefore a db error. How can could this be
>achieved? By clicking back in the browser window? I dont think so since the
>same user was on another site before.
>
>Has anybody a idea on that?

They could have just hit "Reload" on that page.

--
Like Music?  http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
>I have a small problem,
>I can make the cgi version of php fine, it runs and installs perfectly, but
>when I try to make the apache module (i.e. --with-apxs=/path/to/apxs) php
>crashes apache. can anyone give me any insight on this?

What error messages are in Apache log?
Do you get a core dump?
Have you read the instructions on http://bugs.php.net/ ?
Is the apxs you pointed out to PHP the current one matching your Apache
installation?
What was your configure line for Apache?

--
Like Music?  http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>> For example in a book discussing PHP 3 it says:
>>
>> <?
>> phpinfo();
>> ?>
>>
>> This works just fine.  In a book that discusses PHP 4 it says:
>>
>> <?
>> php_info()
>> ?>
>>
>> This gives "Fatal error: Call to undefined function: php_info() in
>> c:\inetpub\wwwroot\php\phpinfo.php on line 2."
>>
>> So it's not just backwards compatibility it is careless planning.  This is not
>> good.  I will have to search hi and lo to determine if a failure is due to
>> incorrect syntax because of version and not just careless typing on my part.

As far as I know, php_info() has never been a documented function.  The
manual has always re-directed requests for php_info to phpinfo.  Try it
yourself:

http://php.net/php_info

This is not a "new" behaviour nor a change in the language -- It's people
using an undocumented alias that they shouldn't.

I do not understand why people insist on using undocumented features, much
less putting them into text books.

Don't do that.

PHP actually has a pretty good history as far as backwards compatibility
goes.  Not perfect, perhaps, but pretty good.

I suggest you complain to the Author, Technical Editor, or Publisher of the
book.

If that doesn't suit, feel free to write your web-pages in Fortran 77 :-)

--
Like Music?  http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
>Hi y'all
>
>Has anyone found any problems with the xml parsing functions when the xml
>document gets quite large. eg, a doc with about 5000 lines (about 200KB)
>
>The problem that's occurring is that some of the elements are being broken
>in two parts
>
>If you require more details, please ask, as it's one of my colleagues that
>is having this problem and I'll need her to pass on an example if needed.

I've heard that the DOM is a memory hog...

Are you using DOM or the other one, or ???

It's also quite possible that somewhere deep into the XML somebody
line-wrapped an element, which is prefectly valid, but that isn't
anticipated by your algorithm for reading/parsing the file...

That's the most likely source of the problem as described.

--
Like Music?  http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
>I just signed up for this, as I would LOVE to be able to talk and interact
>(in person) with some PHP Developers.  As I'm still learning (as we all
>are), it would be a great opportunity for me to be able to meet up and
>discuss this wonderful language with my peers.  Hopefully that'll come to pass! :o)
>
>I emplore all PHP Developers to sign up for MEETUP.  You have nothing to
>loose, and everything to gain!

Hey, it would be great if some of these grew into regular things or even
turned into full-fledge PHP User Groups...

I think it might even be good for PHP user groups to just go ahead and have
an "informal" meeting of this sort anyway.  I'm in.

--
Like Music?  http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
>   An agent goes to an interface that reveals a list of customers from a
>database. These customers have provided referrals which now reside in a
>database. The agent selects a referral which is processed by an intermediary
>script which sets a flag in the database saying that "this agent" is, has,or
>will be contacting this referral (to prevent duplicate contact). Then this
>redirects to the referral's interface where the details about this referral
>are revealed.

The things is...

If these are all done by header("Location: ...") then you are needlessly
chewing up an awful lot of HTTP connections.

HTTP connections are, I think, a very limited and over-strained resource on
a busy site.

Now, the price *might* be "worth it" for maintainability...

OTOH -- I suspect you could simply include 'processing.inc' in Interface B
and have code that's just as maintainable without chewing up two/three/four
times as many HTTP connections/processes.

You can't scale up when you waste HTTP connections.

As far as atomicity (not letting the user abort) goes, I suspect that is
really better handled by transactions or, in a very crude way,
register_shutdown_function to check that all the results "tie out".

Actually, modular design and clear interface/API/back-end design often
obviate most of what beginners think they need transactions for, and a
couple well-placed (and well-thought-out) flags/time-outs can get rid of the
rest, until you actually get to the canonical "checkbook" (or any money)
example...  You can do those the hard way, but it's usually not as good a
solution as a real transaction.

This is just my opinion, though, and I've often seen paradigms under fire
for all the wrong reasons.  "It won't scale up" is meaningless for a
botique/niche site that won't every *NEED* to scale up.  And yet you often
see a Manager insisting on doing it "that way", while wasting a zillion
people-hours on lame features and poor design layout and...

Ah well.  Enough on that topic.  I quit looking for a day job so I wouldn't
have to worry about that kind of junk any more. :-)

--
Like Music?  http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
>Hi All,
>
>I'm porting Java Code to PHP, my question is: What is the best approach
>to emulate Java exceptions in PHP4? (I know ZE2 adds exceptions but I
>can't wait).
>
>When a Java method "throws" an exception it is difficult to handle as a
>"return" of an exception object since then I'd have to check in every
>sinlge line that calls a method if the returned value is an exception
>and then return and exception etc etc. (Chaning that up to the user
>would be a nightmare).
>
>So I need some clever ideas ;-)

http://php.net/set_error_handler
http://php.net/trigger_error
http://php.net/error_log

Pretty much, take those and a little discipline with your programming staff,
and you're done...

Maybe write some kind of error message system that creates a unique ID for
each error message.

You can wrap it up in some Objects if that makes you happy.

--
Like Music?  http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
>Is it possible to write to exif-headers in pictures?

I don't think any PHP built-in function will do that.

Your options include:

1. Looking at the PHP source and extending it to do what you want.
(and contributing that back).

2. Using some external program to do it: http://php.net/exec

3. Digging into the guts of whomever defined EXIF (MPEG folks?) and writing
some PHP functions that read/write exif data without screwing up the images.

I suspect none of these are terribly difficult -- It's just that nobody else
has wanted them badly enough yet to do the work...

--
Like Music?  http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
>The onus is on us to define the problem boundaries, to investigate possible
>
>solutions, and to present the results verbally, in writing and (possibly) to
>
>demonstrate in action. They like having projects that find solutions (or
>improve a
>
>current sloution) real life problems.

You may want to look at http://sourceforge.net for some interesting ideas of
projects that are under-staffed, or at http://linuxfund.org (ditto).

If there's any particular "extra-curricular" activity you are interested in,
do some thinking on what kinds of software might be particularly useful for
that.

--
Like Music?  http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
>It's been over a year since I've had to come to you for help, but your
>insights and experience are too hard to resist... :-)
>
>I don't have a problem with any of the gd functions and they all works
>fine except that when I try to fill a circle or draw onto an imported
>image from imagecreatefromjpeg:
>
>When I create my working jpg image from scratch:
>
>$im = ImageCreate($sizew, $sizeh);
>$black = ImageColorAllocate($im, 0, 0, 0);

>I decided to cut out the 200+ lines of stripe drawing code and import
>the fixed stripped image using imagecreatefromjpeg to draw and fill the
>circle and arrow onto:

>$im = imagecreatefromjpeg("stripes.jpg");
>$black = ImageColorAllocate($im, 0, 0, 0);
>
>ImageArc($im, $arrwell, $arrwell, 10, 10, 0, 360, $black);
>ImageFillToBorder($im, $arrwell, $arrwell, $black, $black);

>The problem is that now the Arc and arrow lines comes out in a reddish
>color and the fill to border doesn't fill (regardless of the color used
>in ImageArc).
>
>Anything I attempt to draw in any color comes out in red (it doesn't
>matter what the stripe color behind it is, it's still the same red).

Try using the TrueColor functions.

I suspect that while it's possible for the JPEG to have a zillion colors,
the actualy pallette in use for any particular image is limited.

Once you hit that limit, it gets ugly fast.

Before the True Color stuff came along, I wrote some really gnarly code that
would essentially search out the least-used color, de-allocate that one --
which automatically re-mapped that color to the nearest, I think, and then I
was able to allocate my new color flawlessly.

You really don't want to use this code, since scanning the whole image for
all the colors and building up the frequency table is extremely inefficient,
and almost-for-sure the True Color stuff will take care of you.

--
Like Music?  http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
>Hello - My problem is as follows:
>    <?
>        $data = mssql_result(mssql_query("SELECT Field FROM table WHERE
>ID='1'"),0);
>        echo $data;
>        mysql_insert("INSERT INTO table2 VALUES('$data')");
>    ?>
>
>The data in the MSSQL table is: фЦ

I dunno what those characters are or what's going on, but this code needs
some serious error-checking...

Perhaps the web version and CGI version are using different php.ini files
with different sql_magic_quotes settings...

--
Like Music?  http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
>List,
> I'm creating a PHP/pgSQL web site...I need to execute queries with a
>cursor and get their result set into my PHP script.  How can I make a
>pgSQL procedure with logic that also returns a result set?  I've
>searched and searched but cannot find the answer.  Does anyone got it?

Any old select will return a result set that works with a query...

But if you need your PostgreSQL FUNCTION to return a result set, I *think*
you need to use:

'set of XXX'

for the 'rettype' (return type)

and I *THINK* you can figure out what to use for XXX if you start digging to
find the name/oid of the "complex type" that represents a row in your table
here:

http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?catalog-pg-type.html

I've never done this, I just did a little digging right now, and this is
where I would keep digging if I was working on this...

But it sounds to me like PostgreSQL already *has* a "complex type" to
represent the tuples in your table, and you just need to find out what the
name of that "complex type" might be.  It may even turn out to be just the
table name or something...

--
Like Music?  http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
>I have searched the archive for a message subject
>something like "PHP Wish List" and was unsuccessful.

Depends who does the wishing :-)

The first time I compiled PHP, I tried to throw in almost everything that
sounded remotely interesting.

That was incredibly time-consuming and frustrating.

I didn't even really understand what half that crap was, and then I had to
go download and install and configure it and kick the tires on each one,
and...

By the time I got so frustrated with it all, there was *ALREADY* a new
version of PHP out.  (It's not like I didn't have other stuff to do...)

So when I started over with that version I only compiled in the stuff I
*KNEW* I would have time to mess with in the next six months.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
------------------
It don't matter what you choose, but choose only the stuff you're gonna need
FOR SURE in the next six months.
------------------

If it turns out you were wrong, it's no big deal to download/compile/install
one more toy, after you've been playing awhile.

Oh yeah -- Be sure to compile it as a CGI as well.  You'll need that for
cron jobs sooner than you think, and it's way easier when you still have the
shell with the up arrow :-)

Actually, I always put my configure line in a chmod 700 shell script so I
can just use it again.

I know PHP writes one out, but it's got all those quotes and stuff, and I
like one I can just read.

--
Like Music?  http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
>Hi Everyone.
>
>Yup.. another dummy who can't suss out php.
>
>I'm running win2000 server and have installed php (by the book), also have
>mysql running.

I just saw an article on Apache Today (http://www.apachetoday.com) about PHP
on W2K installation.

It seemed to be pretty clearly-written and had a lot of 'splaining about WHY
the guy did what he did, and what did and didn't work when he tried it...

YMMV.

It's the next one after the SWYNK article.

--
Like Music?  http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi guys,

I have a function:

 $substring = substr($REMOTE_ADDR,0,9);
 if ($substring != '192.168.0') {
  echo "Access Denied";
  exit;
 }

If the user isn't from the local network, he's not allowed in.

This works fine, but is there a way to get apache to do it for me instead?
Like, this for example...

<Location /server-info>
    SetHandler server-info
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
    Allow from 192.168.0.0
</Location>

Is it possible to have apache do this for a Vhost?  like this...

<VirtualHost *>
DocumentRoot /home/admin
ServerName admin.blabla.net
ErrorLog /home/logs/error.admin.net.log
CustomLog /home/logs/access.admin.net.log common
php_admin_flag safe_mode off
<Location /home/admin>
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
    Allow from 192.168.0.0
</Location>
</VirtualHost>

See what I'm trying to do?
i've had a big fiddle, can't get it to work.  Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers,
Liam

P.S.  I know it's got to do with Apache mostly, but it kinda has some relation to
PHP...  ;-)
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi all,

I'm looking at some pretty complex regexp's at the moment for parsing HTML,
stripping out some attributes, getting the values of others, etc etc.

The simple fact is that all these...

<A HREF=foo.php>
<A HREF='foo.php'>
<A HREF="foo.php">
<A HREF='foo.php' TARGET="something">
<A HREF=foo.php TARGET=something>
<A HREF = "foo.php">
<A HREF = 'foo.php'>

... and many more are *valid* HTML mark-up.  It starts to make the task look
rather daunting -- especially if I want to get it right, rather than taking
shortcuts.

I'm pretty sure I need to start looking at a state engine or HTML parser
which can identify a tag, and seek out all the attributes of it, according
to strictly valid HTML (preferably 4.01 strict), rather than working with
regexp's.

As it turns out, I'm only looking to work with <A> at this stage, so I don't
think it'll be a massive state engine, but I'd like to explore any other
options or existing libraries of code before considering such a beast.

Any links / articles / code / whatever warmly welcome :)

Justin French

--- End Message ---