At 12:57 PM -0400 7/18/02, Henning Sittler wrote:
>What's the best way to check for an Associative Array?  There is no
>is_assoc() or similiar function listed in the manual (I don't think anyway).

No, because AFAIK all PHP arrays are associative; there is no
distinction between arrays & hashes as in Perl.

>I'm using mysql_fetch_array() and I want to foreach only the assoc. part of
>the array without using mysql_fetch_assoc():
>
>foreach ($arr as $key=>$value) {
>       echo "$key:$value";
>}

If you really don't want to use mysql_fetch_assoc(), you can use the
second parameter of mysql_fetch_array():

        $arr = mysql_fetch_array($ResultHandle, MYSQL_FETCH_ASSOC);

This functions exactly like mysql_fetch_assoc(), and is available in
PHP >= 3.0.7.

See

        http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-fetch-array.php

for more info.

>But of course it show both the indexed array and the assoc array contents.
>Is there an existing function to check this, or should I do one of these
>things inside the foreach loop:
>
>A) set $last=value and just check if $value = $lastval
>
>B) check if the $key is just a number or just a string
>
>C) $key += 1

Lastly, you _could_ just step through the array using each() in a
loop, and use only every OTHER array entry...but this is really funky
and you shouldn't do it this way anymore.

        -steve

>?? Thanks,
>

>Henning Sittler
>www.inscriber.com

| Steve Edberg                                      [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| University of California, Davis                          (530)754-9127 |
| Programming/Database/SysAdmin               http://pgfsun.ucdavis.edu/ |