[snip]
When the uses clicks the "submit button", I wish to perform a check where I
look for a value in a MySQL database.  If found, I need
to return an error page telling the user that the value already exists.  I
assume that I can just POST to a PHP page that performs
the check.

If the value was not found, I would like to POST the results to a PHP form
handling script I use.

The above tow are separate PHP documents that are not connected.  In
essence, it is akin to one form processing page handing off the
information to another page.  Can this be done in PHP?
[/snip]

Sure!

Pseudo-code in preliminary form handling script;

if (form value in database){
    redirect to error page;
} else {
    redirect to form handling script;