Thanks for responding.  It turns out this is a known bug in 4.2.2 along with
Apache 2.x.x according to the developers.  The CVS snapshots seem to work,
but I have moved back to Apache 1.3.x from the 2.x.x stuff.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=php+4.2.2+cookie+bug&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=
en

So watch out for 4.2.2 if you use Apache 2.x.x.  It seems to be okay with
Apache 1.3.26.

John