Try

echo $_POST['nameofthefield'];

If this works, it's to do with register_globals directive in your php.ini
file.

You can set it to on, which will solve your problem, or you can choose to be
more secure, and write better scripts, by choosing to keep it off, as with
the above line of code.

Search the archives of this list for "regisiter globals" and "new global
variables", because this has been discussed over and over and over and over.

Justin