PHP cannot read a JavaScript array, simple as that.  There are many workarounds,
depending upon your situation.  You can, for instance, create a function that is
called onsubmit, that will take any values in checked checkboxes and put them into a
comma-delimitted string inside a hidden form element.  That string is then passed to
the PHP page, where it can be parsed (ala implode/explode) and put into a new array.

I hope that made some sense :o)

Martin Clifford
Homepage: http://www.completesource.net
Developer's Forums: http://www.completesource.net/forums/

>>> "Sheni R. Meledath" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 07/29/02 11:18AM >>>
Hello:

In a form I am using a series of check boxes for a number of lists. Some
calculations has to be done on the client side using Javascript depending
upon the check box values. For this I am using a single variable name
(array) for the check boxes in a list and another for the next list and so
on. The format I have used is
<input type="checkbox" name="list1" value="Education" onclick="addList()">
Education
<input type="checkbox" name="list1" value="Profession" onclick="addList()">
Profession

I can access these variables from Javascript as list1[0] & list1[1].
(document.form.list1['0'].checked & document.form.list1['1'].checked

But when this form is submitted to the PHP script I am getting only the
last value. list1 = 'Profession'. I am not getting an array of values.
<?
for ($i=0; $i<count($list1); $i++)
        {
        $listall .= '$list1[$i],';
        }
?>

How can I accomplish both these operations? I cannot use single variables
names for each item in the form, because it is more than 1000. Also I want
to use both Javascript & PHP operations. Please help to solve this issue or
suggest some other ways to accomplish this business logic.

Many Thanks in Advance & Best Regards
Sheni R Meledath
[EMAIL PROTECTED]