HI,
   I thing, you have to find out WHAT is really slow part, I don't think it is PHP
what's slow, as you didn't write more about
your project, try to find out the "bottleneck" in few steps, for example turn off
error-checking, then put it back on  and turn
off execution of INSERT queries, then switch back and turn off SELECT queries ....
till u find out :). May be in Zend Studio,
there is profiler, so you can try it out, or you can add some timers in your code to
find out where your machine spends time,
there are many ways. You may find out that you have to optimize your db queries or
database model. As I don't know, and don't want
to know :), details, I can give you only very common advices.
Hint, if you are doing redundant queries, don't do that! Do it only once, store result
in an array and next time use it, its much
more faster than asking db!

cheers

Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> I'm using PHP to load data into a PostgresQL database. The script works
> fine but it is a bit slow. It's taking about 30 minutes to load about
> 15,000 items. This is mainly because of all the error checking and many
> redundant queries I am running.
>
> This program is a one-off thing.
>
> Are there any simple ways for me to make PHP run faster? I'm already
> using persistent DB connections. I was thinking along the lines
> increasing it's memory usage, turning off error checking, getting it to
> optimize the code on the fly, etc ...?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jc

Mirek Novak