Von: Jason Wong [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 13. August 2002 05:48
An: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Betreff: Re: [PHP] Performance of ZLib

On Tuesday 13 August 2002 09:46, Sascha Braun wrote:

> The funktionality is:
>
> Customer puts an 300 DPI High quality JPEG image into his shopping cart,
> after he checks out the Image or the images are getting compressed via
Zlib
> Library.

Have you tried doing a few test runs to see

1) By how much the files are compressed -- jpegs are already compressed and
usually compressing again will only shave a few percent off the size. In
some
cases the file size can actually increase when "compressed".

2) The average time taken to compress a file.

> So what about performance?

That is determined by your server -- CPU speed, amount of memory, speed of
HDDs.

/*
QOTD:
        "East is east... and let's keep it that way."
*/