> string filename
The name of the file. b.e test.html or $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'test.html'
> int use_include_path
Optional 1 true or 0 (or nothing) false the file above is in my default
include path.
Manual: you can use the optional second parameter and set it to "1", if you
want to search for the file in the include_path, too.

The default include path is defined in your php.ini:
Specifies a list of directories where the require(), include() and
fopen_with_path() functions look for files.

So call it like:
$string_with_file_contents=('file_with_the_wanted_content.ext');