If you can't store stuff ABOVE your doc root, you can protect them with a
.htaccess file.

I use this to refuse all *.inc files from being served:

<Files ~ "\.inc$">
    Order Allow,Deny
    Deny from all
</Files>

With this in mind, a quick visit to the Apache site should get you started
in the right direction.

Justin French