Justin,

Thanks again.  I've been doing some more research on .htaccess.  The problem
I see is that it is high maintenance, i.e. I've already got a MySQL table of
users with username and password.  To use .htaccess, you have to have a
htpasswd file containing duplicate usernames and passwords, and this would
have to be in sync with the MySQL table.

I have found that there is an Apache module, mod_auth_mysql, that allows
.htaccess to access a MySQL database for the information it needs.  This
module is available at
http://www.diegonet.com/support/mod_auth_mysql.shtml.  Problem is you have
to install the mod and recompile Apache, I think.  And I don't know how to
do that yet.  However, if everything works in accordance with my
interpretation, you should be able to put an .htascess file into the
directory you wish to protect and Mod_auth_mysql will communicate with the
database to authenticate the users.

Roger