Hi, I have a few questions with php sessions, below is an example script:

test_sess.php
-------------

<?php

session_cache_limiter("");
session_start();

?>
<A HREF="/local/path.php">local path</A>

When I initially load the file (session cookie gets set), the HREF link
gets the PHPSESSID appended to it. If I reload the page (cookie already
set) the appendage goes away.

According to the PHP manual, the PHPSESSID gets appended to the URL only
in the case the session cookie is not accepted by the browser.

I would guess that on the first page load the server has no way of
knowing if the browser accepted the cookie. So maybe this is
intentional? I'm trying to figure out how to avoid PHPSESSID in the URLs
entirely unless the browser does not accept cookies. I suppose I could
disable URL rewriting altogether and rely soley on cookies. How do I
disable PHP session URL rewriting? I don't see a setting in php.ini for it.

PHP 4.2.2, Solaris Sparc

TIA
Monte

php.ini
-------

[Session]
; Handler used to store/retrieve data.
session.save_handler = files

; Argument passed to save_handler.  In the case of files, this is the path
; where data files are stored. Note: Windows users have to change this
; variable in order to use PHP's session functions.
session.save_path = /export/tmp
; Whether to use cookies.
session.use_cookies = 1

; Name of the session (used as cookie name).
session.name = PHPSESSID

; Initialize session on request startup.
session.auto_start = 0

; Lifetime in seconds of cookie or, if 0, until browser is restarted.
session.cookie_lifetime = 0

; The path for which the cookie is valid.
session.cookie_path = /

; The domain for which the cookie is valid.
session.cookie_domain =

; Handler used to serialize data.  php is the standard serializer of PHP.
session.serialize_handler = php

; Percentual probability that the 'garbage collection' process is started
; on every session initialization.
session.gc_probability = 1

; After this number of seconds, stored data will be seen as 'garbage' and
; cleaned up by the garbage collection process.
session.gc_maxlifetime = 1440

; Check HTTP Referer to invalidate externally stored URLs containing ids.
session.referer_check =

; How many bytes to read from the file.
;session.entropy_length = 0
session.entropy_length = 32

; Specified here to create the session id.
;session.entropy_file =
session.entropy_file = /dev/urandom

; Set to {nocache,private,public} to determine HTTP caching aspects.
session.cache_limiter = nocache

; Document expires after n minutes.
session.cache_expire = 180

; use transient sid support if enabled by compiling with --enable-trans-sid.
session.use_trans_sid = 1

url_rewriter.tags = "a=href,area=href,frame=src,input=src,form=fakeentry"