Thanks for the reply, a little more info below...

Speaking of cookies, any general thoughts on the relative merits of using
php's setcookie function vs. setting a cookie with a header() call?  Are
both methods equal?

Will do more research later and post anything interesting on the IE6
issue...

. . . . .
php manual - setcookie notes
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote -
MSIE 6 has a inaccurate definition of third party cookies. If your domain is
hosted on one server and your PHP stuff is on another, the IE6 p3p
implementation considers any cookies sent from the second machine "third
party".
Third party cookies will be blocked automatically in most privacy settings
if not accompanied by what MS considers "an appropriate Compact Policy". In
order to make this new piece of tweakable garbage happy I'd suggest you'd
par exemple send
header('P3P: CP="NOI ADM DEV PSAi COM NAV OUR OTRo STP IND DEM"');
before sending your cookie from your second machine.
This header enables your cookie to survive any privacysetting.