What you're looking for seems to be called the 'here document' syntax.
I've always seen it used with print and there's a reference to it in the
print function (okay, construct) PHP documentation, but a quick test
shows that you can also use it to assign to variables. As follows:

$var = <<<END
Several lines
of text would
go here.
END;

Perl only uses two brackets (IIRC) for the same functionality.

..michael..