>when logging in with username and password with the good old "Require user"
>mechanism in Apache I could earlier see the name of the user logging in as
>$REMOTE_USER.
>
>But it seems now to have disappeared. It seems to be nowhere, neither as
>
>$GLOBALS['REMOTE_USER']
>$_SERVER['REMOTE_USER']
>$_ENV['REMOTE_USER']
>
>or in the older
>
>$HTTP_SERVER_VARS['REMOTE_USER']
>
>or in any of the other superglobals.
>
>Did it possibly fall out of the PHP implementation? Or should it be there
>and I am overlooking something?

Look at the output of <?php phpinfo();?> and see if it's there somewhere.

Confirm that you didn't configure as CGI and are running as CGI instead of
ASAPI or ISAPI or whatever.  If it's CGI, the REMOTE_USER and probably won't
come through.

My guess is it got re-named to $_SERVER['HTTP_REMOTE_USER']

--
Like Music?  http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm