There is a difference between the two, but speed-wise it
should be irrelevant which one you use.  print() behaves
like a function in that you can do:

  $ret = print "Hello World";

And $ret will be 1

That means that print can be used as part of a more complex
expression where echo cannot.  print is also part of the
precedence table which it needs to be if it is to be used
within a complex expression.  It is just about at the bottom
of the precendence list though.  Only "," AND, OR and XOR
are lower.

echo is marginally faster since it doesn't set a return
value if you really want to get down to the nitty gritty.

If the grammar is:

 echo expression [, expression[, expression] ... ]

Then

 echo ( expression, expression )

is not valid.  ( expression ) reduces to just an expression
so this would be valid:

 echo ("howdy"),("partner");

but you would simply write this as:

 echo "howdy","partner";

if you wanted to use two expression.  Putting the brackets
in there serves no purpose since there is no operator
precendence issue with a single expression like that.

http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/1/fid/40

Regards!
Jocelyn
http://www.hosting-canada.com