Hi Jay,

MySQL deserves some more respect. It's language is quite potent.
Have you had a look on COUNT()? It is suited well for... well,
counting.

I would like to be able to sum up a collumns values already in
MySQL. The following query will sum up all values of the column
'id':
SELECT @idsum:=(IFNULL(@idsum, id)+id), id FROM yourtable;

Now a question to the PHP/MySQL experienced: Why does this type
of query not work in combination with PHP? I am using query
above as $query and do the following standard procedure:

$result = mysql_query($query);
while ($row = mysql_fetch_row($result)) {
        echo join(", ", $row) . "<br>";
};

But MySQLs variable seems to be reset for each row. Is there any
other access method on a query that can cope with it properly?

Timo