Oliver,

I think I see your question. You are wanting to know if people can see
*your* PHP code (it sounded like you were asking if you could read PHP's
source code, which is why people responded like they did).

I think another poster mentioned this, but the safest thing to do with
your database access information is to store it in a separate PHP script
outside of document root. This ensures that there is no way to access it
from a URL. Then, you can use include() from your script(s) that need to
connect to the database to include the access credentials.

I think your question is whether you can see the source of a *.php file
from a Web browser somehow, right? I'm not aware of any type of
vulnerability that can allow this, once your Web server is setup to
recognize these scripts as PHP.

A possible source of your concern is that many people mistakenly store
included modules under document root, name them *.inc, and don't
configure the Web server to deny requests for a resource with a .inc
extension.

The best solution, even for this case, is to store your included modules
outside of document root. This way you don't depend on access
restrictions implemented in the Web server, nor do you have to worry
about people executing your modules out of context (a danger, possibly
greater danger, that exists when you simply name your modules *.php as a
quick fix).

Hopefully that explains some of this a bit more.

Chris