Could be wrong, but the fact that $result isn't empty doesn't mean there
are rows... it would be better to say:

if ( !empty($result) ) {
     echo "VALID QUERY";
} else {
    echo "INVALID QUERY";
}

Although you should probably check $result against TRUE and FALSE instead.

If you want to know how many rows have been returned use mysql_num_rows()
(or something very close to that).

good luck!