Use strcasecmp():

  strcasecmp($a, $b)  // returns 0 if strings match case-insensitive
                      // non-zero if not

This is slightly unfortunate in that the test you have to do is counter-intuitive:

  if (strcasecmp($a, $b)):
     // strings DON'T match
  else:
     // strings match case-insensitively
  endif;

Nonetheless, I'd prefer this over case-converting both strings and then comparing, as
you're only making a single function call to do a comparison with in-line conversion,
as opposed to two function calls for the conversions and then a comparison as well.
(I guess I ought to benchmark that -- although it seems "obvious", sometimes the
obvious isn't!)

Cheers!

Mike

Beckett Park, LEEDS,  LS6 3QS,  United Kingdom
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]