I'm not sure why you are trying to use session_is_registered() to
validate a user, but you should get rid of that.

With sessions, you want to start the session on every page you need
session management. If you have a session module that you include
everywhere, you can do this by registering each session variable, as
that will implicitly start the session as well.

If you want to greet a user by name, simply have a session variable
called "first_name" or something. Then, if it's not blank, greet them.

I'm not sure if that helps, but you at least need to rethink what you
are trying to do.

Chris