Hi,

I would like some ideas on how to perform the following.  Any input from the
PHP gurus would be appreciated.

I have a form where my customer feels out certain information.  Part of this
information is the company name, address, city and state/province of their
customer.  I have to assign a unique number to their customer based on the
information they typed in.

Here is my problem:

1) They may enter the same customer twice but have a slightly different
spelling (maybe adding a LTD. to the company name)
2) Two of my customers may have the same customer. They will type it into my
form but again with variant spelling.

I would like to know if there is an algorithm which allows me to check for
small variances in spelling so that I would know if this customer has
already been assigned my unique number and therefore not assign a duplicate
number.

Thanks,
Don