maybe try...

print "<pre>";
print_r($HTTP_POST_VARS);
print "</pre>";

this will dump the entire post var array to the browser.. similar to
functions before but faster.

----

Christian Haines
Internet Developer

MITOUSA.
Branding Strategies for Visual & Interactive Design

102 Tynte Street
North Adelaide  SA  5006

e) [EMAIL PROTECTED]
t) 08 8361 9022
f) 08 8361 9977
w) www.mitousa.com
"Anup" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Here's the code
> <?php
>  foreach ($HTTP_POST_VARS  as $Index=>$Value) {
>   echo "DEBUG ::: POST Key: $Index; POST Value: $Value<br>\n";
>  }
> ?>
> ### Here's the function (this is how what I catually use).
> function PrintVars () {
> global $HTTP_POST_VARS;
>     foreach ($HTTP_POST_VARS  as $Index=>$Value) {
>       echo "DEBUG ::: POST Key: $Index; POST Value: $Value<br>\n";
>     }
> }
>
> The first snippet seems to work fine by itself, but if call it as a
function
> (as the latter snippet) then it doesn't print the variables. I have the
POST
> array defined as global (in the function), could that be why it takes out
> the empty textbox variables?
>
> "Justin French" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > on 08/10/02 9:13 AM, Anup ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> >
> > > Hello, I have been dealing with different form proccessing PHP
scripts.
> When
> > > I start a new job I usually have a script that just takes the form
POST
> > > values and prints them to the screen, so I know what I'm working with.
> Now
> > > I have a question say the form has 1 field named "FirstName". If the
> field
> > > is left blank, sometimes my script will print the key and NO value, or
> it
> > > will just print out nothing, ie NO key or value.
> >
> > Are you certain this is happening on text fields?  Typically text
fields,
> > password fields and textareas allways set a key, and no value of blank.
> Ie:
> >
> > $_POST['FirstName'] = '';
> >
> > Select boxes should always have a value set.
> >
> > Check boxes are only set IF the box was ticked.
> >
> > What I'd advise is that you make a quick form and test this out --
perhaps
> > it was only checkboxes that were sometimes not being set?
> >

> > > any ideas.  Could it be the server (IIS or Unix/Linux) of the form and
> the
> > > server (IIS or Unix/Linux)  of the script.?
> > > Since I do jobs for different people and environments any combination
of
> > > servers are possible.
> >
> > I've never experienced this problem on any environment -- FreeBSD,
RedHat