Just a thought...

If you're going to write an XHTML compatible code, you wouldn't really have
this problem -->

>    echo("<A HREF='$my_URLhome'>Go home</A>");

since you'll probably write something like this:

  echo '<a href="' . $my_URL . 'home">Go home</a>';

Of course, I didn't mean that you can't do that with HTML...

Anyway, for the original question, I think, you shouldn't really add
"http://"; to every link that points to the same site. Most probably, the
browser and the server can handle the request faster since *I think* it
doesn't need to query a DNS server for each request. I'm not sure about this
one though... :( Need more research...

- E