scott wrote:

>My mail function is sending out a few hundred or so mail address but
>keeps hanging when it gets to sending a mail form a certain domain.

Probably DNS. Try doing a "dig thedomain.com" (assuming linux) on the
domain it is going to. I suspect there is not an entry thus it will hang
until DNS times out.

>As the script hangs at this point I can't send anymore mails once the
>script encounters an address from x domain. What would be the best way
>to work around this? Why is mail() hanging?

In my opinion, if you are sending all the emails from a single PHP
script, do one per script (depends upon how the maximum execution time
works). Or use cron/at to do it outside of waiting for a web page. I
admit that I use perl for this part, calling it from "at".

>How would you suggest incorporating a timeout so that the script
>continues once mail() has not exited for more than say 5 seconds????

mail() is a blocking call, so it won't exit until it has either
successfully sent an email or has failed.

HTH
Chris