There are classes on phpclasses.org that attempt to do this.  It's been
discussed MANY times before.

There are a couple of methods:

1. sessions -- count your active sessions

2. counters -- each time a page is acessed, log it with a time stamp...
after 30 seconds (or whatever you decide is enuff time), delete it... the
total count of logged requests is a rough guide to how many people are
online...

3. a combination of the two... you can use the session id to ensure that if
one user visits 8 pages in 30 seconds, it doesn't appear that he/she is 8
users instead of one.

Seriously, check the archives, dig around phpclasses... i know it's been
done to death :)

Justin