Hello,

On 10/27/2002 06:23 PM, Dwalker wrote:
You'll need to be careful with this method.  In an effort to keep spam to a
minimum, some ISP's may refuse messages with more than X number of email
address attached.  Then the question becomes:  did everyone on the list
actually receive the message?
The ISP that refuse messages to many recipients in BCC, certainly will not allow you to send separate messages to the as many recipients because that overloads even more their servers. That has nothing to do with whether you are sending spam or solicited bulk mail like newsletters. Thas has to do with abusing the mail server resources compromising the quality of service to other customers .

Whether you send separate messages or a single message with all recipients in Bcc, you need to ask your ISP if you are not infringing the acceptable use policy. In shared servers you are most likely abusing.

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

-----Original Message-----
From: Justin French <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Stephen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; PHP List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Friday, October 25, 2002 7:53 PM
Subject: Re: [PHP] One mail function, multiple recipients

instead of your while() loop calling mail() each time, use it to build a
comma separated list of recipients, then pipe them into a Bcc (so as to not
publicise everyone's email address), and send one email with all people in
the Bcc list.

UNTESTED code:
<?
$bcc = '';

$sql = "SELECT email FROM mailingListTable";
$result = mysql_query($sql);

while($myrow = mysql_fetch_array($result))
  {
  $bcc .= $myrow['email'].',';
  }

// $bcc will now look like:
// [EMAIL PROTECTED],[EMAIL PROTECTED],[EMAIL PROTECTED],

// trim off the trailing comma
$bcc = substr($bcc, 0, -1);

// prepare to send
$to = '[EMAIL PROTECTED]';
$subject = 'My Mailing List';
$message = 'This is my email message';
$headers = 'From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]\r\n';
$headers .= "Bcc: {$bcc}\r\n";

// send
mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);
?>

Good luck -- like I said, untested code, so it may need some tweaking.

Justin