Yes, and 2 should be 3

Marek Kilimajer wrote:

the -5 should be -7

René Fournier wrote:

(Well, at least it's tricky for me... :-)

I need to sort an array based on three numbers that are situated in the middle of each array element. For example:

$list[] is an array, and contains the following [unsorted] elements:

Super-S862-030.jpg
Super-S1162-040.jpg
Super-S874-010.jpg
Super-S1174-020.jpg

I want to sort $list based on those last three numbers, just before the extension, so that the new sort order is:

Super-S874-010.jpg
Super-S1174-020.jpg
Super-S862-030.jpg
Super-S1162-040.jpg

I tried writing my own sort function--but can't seem to get anywhere with it:

function cmp ($a,$b) {
if (substr($a,-5,2) == substr($b,-5,2)) return 0;
return (substr($a,-5,2) < substr($b,-5,2)) ? -1 : 1 ;
}

usort($list,"cmp");

Any ideas? (Thanks.)

...Rene