On a site that uses a popup window to display images, I want to prevent
people from hotlinking directly to the popup page because it just looks like
crap if not sized properly with controls removed.

But I'm not sure how I can prevent someone from doing this. It appears the
HTTP_REFERER isn't always a reliable way to see if they are entering the
page from another page on your own site. And I'm not using sessions for this
site (it's not necessary).

So, I'm a little stuck on how I can allow access to a page only from certain
other pages. Has anyone done this with PHP?

Thanks!