> Your pseudocode is incomplete, because you do not show us where you call
> this mysterious function that "validates using $PHPSESSID."

The call is in the location where I have it defined.

> Also, if that is really all your switch consists of, you're not really
> gaining anything over using a simple if construct:

No, it consists of a few others but none that are related to the problem.
Also, it provides for future functionality (actions) so that I don't have to
rewrite that section of the code.

In any case, I figured out what the problem was and posted a follow up
that posed it's own questions.

Chris