If you want to prevent the string from being posted unless the user
writes it using less than 100 characters, the function you're looking
for is strlen()

http://ca.php.net/manual/en/function.strlen.php

as in
if (strlen ($string) > 1000)
        echo 'error';

Otherwise you can simply truncate the string using substr as Martin
suggested.

Marco

Marco
php|architect -- The Monthly Magazine For PHP Professionals
Come visit us on the web at http://www.phparch.com!