If I remember correctly (it's been a while) the contents gets passed
through STDIN to in this case wget, it'd be better to call the script as:
|/usr/bin/php -q /path/to/script.php

or put:
#!/usr/bin/php at the top of your script and call as:
|/path/to/script.php

and use: (i forget the exact path, but something along these lines)
$fp = fopen('php://stdin', 'r');
to read the email.

-js