even further, instead of using fgets() to get each line and then exploding
it, you can use fgetcsv() which reads the line and breaks it into chunks by
any delimiter, returning the chunks in an array.

$fp = fopen($filename, "r");
while (!feof($fp))
{
    $line = fgetcsv($fp, 99999, "|");
fclose($fp);

"Rasmus Lerdorf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> $array = file($filename);
>
> Each line of the array will have a line of your file.
>
> Or, if you want to do it line by line:
>
>   $fp = fopen($filename,'r');
>   while(!feof($fp)) {
>     $line = fgets($fp);
>   }
>   fclose($fp);
>
> -Rasmus
>
> On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Kelly Meeks wrote:
>
> > here's an example of a text file I need to read...
> >
> > abcd|test1|morevalues|otherstuff

efghijklm|a;kd;laskf;alskdjf;alskdf;askldjasldkf|;askd;lakjl;asdf|al;sdjf;al